About The Project
In 2010 MEDATECH responded to a request from HYDRO ONE to supply a Truck mounted 12′ Diameter Auger drill for use in the “Bruce to Milton” Transmission line expansion (200km of new transmission line). The challenge…No drill of this size had ever been mounted to a truck before.
In less than 18 months a complete machine was designed and delivered to site with the capability of drilling large holes from 4 to 12 feet in diameter with a total depth of up to 60 feet. MEDATECH designed the machine to fit on a Kenworth Truck Co. T800 tridem truck chassis for ultimate mobility. The machine weighs just under 100,000 lbs and is highway legal in Ontario.
- The design included a 140,000 foot-pound capacity rotation drive designed specifically for this application. The custom built high-torque gear box uses dual Häggland radial piston motors. This allows for a simple single reduction gear box design achieving the range of torque and speeds needed.
- CAN-BUS based custom control system with operator interface includes a touch screen computer monitor and CAN components. All components used were open architecture for simple soft
- Rapid development of the first highway legal auger drill of its size.
- Smart “return to center” drilling command
- MEDATECH designed and certified the machinery for legal on-highway use.
In 2005, Ontario Power Generation contracted MEDATECH to make major repairs to a recently commissioned nuclear waste transporter. The transporter’s hydraulic steering and braking system as well as the steering linkage had failed with minimal hours of operation. MEDATECH was commissioned by OPG to redesign and rebuild the steering and braking system.Read More