About The Project
Andritz Hydro was commissioned by Ontario Power Generation to add a new turbine-generator set at the Little Long, Harmon and Kipling power stations as part of the Lower Mattagami River Project. Andritz Hydro was also commissioned by Ontario Power Generation to refurbish both turbine-generator sets at the Lower Notch generating station. Due to crane limitations at these stations, Andritz was required to provide a means to perform maintenance work on the 400,000 lb generator stators with the generator rotors in situ. Lower Mattagami required supply of a new jacking system; while Lower Notch involved refurbishment of an existing jacking system. Andritz turned to MEDATECH to design, build and refurbish the stator jacking systems as custom lifting device solutions.
MEDATECH built the first of two stator jacking units in 2013 and delivered the second unit in early 2015. These systems are purpose built and designed to lift stator housings weighing in excess of 400,000 lbs. The control system had to provide consistent and level lift at a very low flow rate.
- Design and Build of a custom lifting device for a 400,000 lb stator.
- Extreme lift requiring precise control of the lift and decent to keep the load level at all times.
- Towers need to be designed for possible earthquakes and other dynamic loading scenarios.
- A specially designed jacking tower was provided with custom cylinders. Four of these towers were used in conjunction with a specially designed and fit for purpose control system and panel to lift the massive 400,000 lb stators safety.
- The hydraulic power unit was designed to provide very low flows to the four lift cylinders and has built in controls to monitor level and speed. The control of the lift must be extremely smooth and consistent between the 4 lifting towers.
- The system was designed for safety with intricate safety interlocks designed specifically for this application.
- Custom towers for massive 400,000 lb lift with extremely precise level control.
- Controls and Hydraulics designed, built, certified and tested at MEDATECH facility.
- Designed and Certified by Professional engineers in the province of Ontario.