SAFETY MEETS PRODUCTIVITY
HANDS-FREE rod handling.
As of January 2021, The Borterra RodBot™ is being used as part of a hybrid water hammer/sonic drill rig for embankment dam drilling in Alabama.
See how MRL (Mechanized Rod Loading) can make a difference in your organization. Start the conversation.
- Reduce manual rod handling by over 90%
- Keep workers safe from injury
- Handles 20-foot sections of rod, casing, or rod-in-casing
- Set the angle once, then hit ‘repeat’
Three Operation Modes
Full manual control mode
The operator has manual control of each moving element of the arm.
“Tip Control” mode
Computer assistance allows the operator to control the arm moving the drill pipe in a linear motion. Single-axis input on the joysticks translates to the pipe moving in a straight line either vertically or horizontally out from the arm base.
The RodBot™ moves along a path determined by the operator and/or automatically adapted to the current mast position. The operator has hands-on control of the motion direction and start/stop along the path as a safety measure.
Two Operator Control Interfaces
A 2-joystick wired pendant. Typically hard mounted beside the existing drill controls.
2-joystick radio remote. Typically supplied with shoulder harness and quick disconnect, hard-mount bracket.
Both operator control options have the same functionality and features. Borterra can supply electric/electronic customization and integration if required.
Mechanical Specifications (RodBot™)
- Weight = 5,600 Lbs (2,540 Kg) [payload and mounting base excluded]
- Max height (above mounting base) = 15 ft (5 m) • Min height (below mounting base) = 4 ft (1.2 m)
- Max radial reach = 15 ft (5 m)
- Max payload = 800 Lbs (360 Kg)
- Arm base rotation = up to 330°
- Pipe clamp rotation = up to 330°
- Pipe diameter range = 3.5–7.0” (standard) other ranges available upon request
- Arm has 5 degrees of freedom
- Mounting base dimensions = 36” x 36” (custom mounting available)
- Option #1: Borterra supplies an engineered mounting solution to meet your needs
- Option #2: Borterra supplies required information for customer to mount it themselves
Hydraulic/Electric Requirements (RodBot™)
- Hydraulic pressure = 3,500 PSI (240 bar) [max]
- Hydraulic flow = 35 gpm (132 l/min) [max]
- Hydraulic Input Power = 40 – 75 Hp (30 – 55 kW)
- 12 or 24V Control System
- Option #1: Borterra supplies a dedicated hydraulic powerpack (diesel, gas or electric).
- Option #2: Borterra helps integrate the existing hydraulic system
- Option #3: Borterra supplies required information for the customer to do their own
Start the Conversation
To learn more about how MEDATech can make a difference in your organization using hands-free rod handling technology, give us a call or send us an email to start the conversation. Call us 1-705-443-8440.